Okey dokey. It’s almost time to depart on my hols. Just one more day of work to get through and then I am free for a week of sun, sand and… some more sun. I am going to the Gambia to see a friend from university who works there. I am off to stay with her parents tonight because they are going as well and we will set off for the airport at some ridiculously early hour tomorrow morning.
I’m not really sure what we’re doing while we’re there beyond staying at my friend’s house for a few days and we’ll be going to a resort for some of the time as well. Getting to the resort will involve a boat trip and so I have been warned to bring travel sickness tablets, not because it will be a particularly rough trip but because I have a history of throwing up when there is any combination of a boat and water (my friend was with me at the Great Barrier Reef, so believe me she knows…).
I’ve realised I should have one more anti-malarial tablet than I do, but am going to take them at their word that I can start to take them “one to two days” before I set off, as its probably more important to continue the course for longer at the end. Should I die of malaria then I’ll know this was not the right decision. Mind you, I was talking to someone at work who told me that someone we work with took the same anti-malarials and was rushed to hospital with kidney failure, so it seems that if death is after you there may be no escape.
I was talking to my credit card company a couple of days ago and I mentioned that I was going to the Gambia (it was relevant, I wasn’t just bragging!) and the woman replied “Are you going hunting?” Hunting?? Er... yes I am and have packed my spear for that very purpose. I shall, of course, post pictures of my successful kills, including the severed head of a lion.
I also checked with my solicitor about what they wanted me to do about giving them the rest of the money for the purchase of the place I am buying. They told me that I should hang on to my money as I may as well gain the interest because it was unlikely to delay anything by me waiting until I got back to give it to them. Hopefully I will exchange in the next week anyway. I’ve signed all the documents and done everything I need to so that can happen while I am away. Hopefully…
Anyway, I’m off to Africa! I’ve never been there before so that’s a *whole* *new* *continent*. Woo hoo! Bring on the sunshine.
Typography as art – exhibition in Shoreditch
1 hour ago