Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The long arm of the law

I am decidedly impressed with the police at the moment. This morning they arrested the woman who took my colleague’s bag yesterday.

What I failed to mention yesterday was that, as well as a document that we wanted back, there was actually a lap top in the bag. However, we are generally not terribly alarmed by losing our lap tops as they just get written off.

Initially we didn’t know if some kind hearted Londoner would hand the bag in but thanks to police efforts they realised someone had taken it. The police did various checks of CCTV and worked out who had taken the lap top and arrested her this morning as she went through the station. She told the police that she was going to hand in the lap top today, but that she had disposed of the document. No-one has found this a very likely story, particularly given that she obviously sent through the bag and got rid of some of what was in it. According to the police it was just an opportunist thing as she had got on the train to see if anyone had left a newspaper and found a lap top instead. I am not sure how she will explain to her employer why she was so late to work today. Also in the current 'climate' would you actually pick up an unattended bag? I certainly wouldn't. I have handed in various bits of lost property I have found on the tube but if I saw an unattended bag I wouldn't pick it up, although I probably would report it.

My colleague is feeling decidedly better, despite the document not having turned up, and we are all really impressed with the police.

No comments: