Wednesday, February 07, 2007

*Scratches*


I have been feeling a bit full of ill-health recently. I have a cold of some sort rumbling just below the surface and it is not very pleasant. It just involves a horrible feeling throat, me coughing sometimes, not all the time, but when I do cough it makes me feel really sick – as in that I’m going to actually be sick. It’s lovely. That combined with the last couple of nights of being really tired but when I have gone to bed, the moment my head hits the pillow I’m wide awake, is not a great.

Still, it could be worse… My sister phoned me yesterday
“I’m at home” she said.
“Oh are you? Why?” I replied
“Because [nephew] has got chickenpox”
“Oh…”
“I’m really sorry”
“Yes…”

So, why the problem? The thing is that I have never had chickenpox and getting it as an adult is not ideal. Mind you, they thought he had it before and he didn’t have it. Of course, I would be much more likely to get it had I been in close contact with my nephew. On Sunday when I was over at my sister’s house my nephew and I played our usual game of him lying on the floor and then he points to his back and I then have to blow a raspberry on his back and then he’ll turn over and I have to blow a raspberry on his stomach. We carry on like this until he decides he wants to move somewhere else and then he expects me to crawl after him and we carry on where we left off. This game can go on for well over half an hour sometimes. I don’t suppose that would count as close contact though, would it?

On other matters, for those who are not wanting to celebrate the joys of Valentine’s Day next week, here is the site for you. Very amusing.

7 comments:

Red said...

Oh dear, as a fellow adult untouched by chickenpox so far, I really feel for you. Hopefully it'll turn out to be just a nasty cough. I am crossing everything I can cross for you: fingers, arms, legs and toes...

Anonymous said...

Random, it's not Turkeypox then? It might be wise to have a 'duvet day'tomorrow, with plenty of hot sweet tea, chocolate, hot water bottle and a good book... oh and a bottle of calamine lotion at the ready….

The cat got its revenge, left a half-eaten mouse on the kitchen floor, lovely…..

Hope you feel better soon. TF

Random Reflections said...

Red- thanks. You may have to keep them crossed for a bit, which might make living a functional life for you difficult, but I am worth it...

TF - Turkey pox? I hadn't considered that... I did eat soem Bernard Matthews turkey a couple of weeks ago, so I may have contracted it then.

I have an unblemished sick record for the last six years and so I am trying to maintain that (*thinks* I have no idea why...) although I would desperately love to take the day off tomorrow. If I feel *really* unwell I won't go in, but at the moment I am just hoping I will be trapped home by the snow that is due tonight and then I won't be able to go in anyway.

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for another public transport complete breakdown then!

FUnny.. my best friend went to the doctor today - she has chickenpox! Has had it before, AND had her Rubella jab. And not been in contact with any little people...

Maybe it's being transferred via Bernard Matthews chicken drumsticks..

Random Reflections said...

Please, please, please let the public transport not be working tomorrow, sadly I'll have to wake up at the usual time to find out whether it is or not.

Maybe chicken pox is going about at the moment. I will be disinheriting my nephew if it turns out I do have it. Mind you that Bernard Matthews has a lot to answer for...

missfee said...

oh chickenpox sucks. I still have poc mark... quite becoming I think...

Random Reflections said...

Well at least it could add character if I have chickenpox...