Friday, May 05, 2006

The Show Must Go On

I have seven cousins, none of whom are similar in age to me or my sister. The eldest is probably 15 years older than me and the youngest is almost 25 years younger than me. It’s kind of strange because my parents are really similar in age to each other and their siblings are all within three or four years of them in age.

Anyway, tonight one of my younger cousins is in a dance show. That’s right… a dance show... So I am going to spend my Friday evening watching my nine year old cousin and her school friends dance around a stage. I think somehow it might be seen as rude to take along a book or my personal stereo. Although, having said that, I reckon watching her will be fine because at least I know my cousin, it’s all the other children that might get a little wearing.

As a child I did do a bit of tap and modern dance, but never really liked it so didn’t do it for very long. Long enough to appear in at least one dance show though now I think about it *mind reels at the horror of it*. In fact, it wasn’t only a dance show, we also had to sing. In fact I seem to think it may have been a pantomime. I’m not sure I was ever a very graceful dancer and there was one unfortunate moment where we were all kneeling at the front of the stage singing and I suddenly realised that I was much to close to the microphone and the main person in the chorus you could hear singing was me. I think I have been scarred for life. I have, however, appeared in many a pantomime because my mum is in to amateur dramatics- there was a bit of singing but fortunately no dancing. I’ve been a rat, an Egyptian mummy, a playing card and much, much more. I tell you, I’m very multi-talented.

So tonight I shall do my cousinly duty and watch avidly and be suitably enthusiastic when she comes bounding out afterwards and asks how it was. I guess it will give me good practice for all the things I am likely to have to go to in years to come for my nephew. Oh the joys of family.

No comments: