Friday, May 12, 2006

Small talk

Fairly regularly when I am on the tube I see people with their work passes on and this therefore broadcasts, to anyone who cares to check, what their name is. I’m sometimes tempted to strike up a conversation as though I have suddenly bumped into some long lost friend to see how they react and if they would pretend they knew me just to be polite. If I seemed to know their name I reckon it would be fairly easy to convince them that somehow we knew each other. I think it would be rather amusing making up some story about how we had met before and having to work out from vague clues they might give some yarn that seemed believable. But sadly I don’t think I would ever have the guts to do it. It would also mean having to speak to someone else on the tube – what was I thinking of? I’m a Londoner. We don’t do that!

When I get on a bus, I always say thank you to the bus driver. I am never really sure why I do. Yes, it’s polite but am I saying thank you for stopping the bus and letting me on board - because that’s kind of their job to do that isn’t it? I remember seeing a Garfield cartoon once and Jon (Garfield’s owner) is there waiting at a bus stop and when the bus stops and picks him up, he says to himself “A whole bus stopped just for me!” That always made me laugh. I don’t know why. It just did.

On London buses you don’t even pay the driver any more. On a lot of buses in Central London you have to buy a ticket at a machine on the pavement before you board, or with the introduction of Oyster cards you just touch the card on a reader and your sorted, so even acknowledging the driver is no longer necessary. But still I say thank you every time because it just seems rude to walk by without saying anything.

Anyway, a busy and good weekend ahead. Looking forward to it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of keeping my name tag on, alas...
I am much taken by your idea of faking acquaintance to seriously confuse someone, though..
-Edinburgh as London, it is a serious social faux pas to speak to someone, either when queueing or in transit: were I in Glasgow, I might give it a go, however! (Come to think of it, were I in Glasgow, I wouldn't need the excuse of pretending to know them to spark-up a conversation - they'll talk to anyone, there!)

Hope your weekend is at least as good as anticipated, if not better!

straighttalker05 said...

I reckon if I had a name tag I'd keep it on too.

In Belfast we don't say thank you - we mumble 'Cheers' as we get off. Funny wee part of the world!

Random Reflections said...

I guess it is about making a choice to be polite.

Gripes - if you give the talking to a stranger thing a go, do report back.

Straighttalker- There's a whole new issue - do you say anything when you get off the bus? Difficult one, particularly if you get off the bus at the doors toward the back of the bus.

Public transport is one mass of potential social nightmares.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! Just I've seen this!

Wonder if it might work for buses, too?

Random Reflections said...

That is great! What a good idea -although it might mean that I actually had to speak to someone! On public transport! In London! But if they had their work pass on then at least I'd know their name.

If I end up talking to lots of weird people, I shall hold you responsible.