Monday, January 22, 2007

New Starts

Well, it’s Monday *again* - wouldn’t it be more exciting if the week started on a Friday sometimes and we then just went straight into the weekend? I might suggest that to someone who can change these things. Except I don’t know anyone who could *actually* change this.
I was talking to one of my neighbours on Saturday and she said that there the people who live above her are actually tenants (which isn’t actually allowed under the terms of our leases) and they haven’t paid any rent for five years. Five years of no rent! Apparently whoever the landlord is, which may be the freeholder but I’m not sure, is trying to get them evicted. I’m not entirely surprised by this.

When I saw my friend L for lunch on Friday, she said that about a week ago she was in a car accident. She was just stopping at some traffic lights and suddenly someone went into back of her car. When she looked in the rear view mirror there was an AA van and it had driven into her. I did ask if her first thought was “wow, they got here quickly. I didn’t even have to phone them” but she isn’t actually a member of the AA which I think she is probably very pleased about given that the AA man asked her things like “were you wearing a seatbelt?” (she was) and “are you sure your brake lights were working?” (they were). To say she was unimpressed by this was an understatement - anyway even if she hadn’t been wearing a seat belt or had working brake lights, it doesn’t actually explain why the AA man failed to notice the big red traffic light and has probably managed to write off my friend‘s car as a result.

I’m not going to keep giving a running commentary on Arsenal’s matches but beating Man U is always a good result. Nice.

Anyway, time to start my new job today. I am looking forward to it but there are some other work related things going on at the moment that rather detract from getting too excited about work. I actually got an e-mail from someone I used to work with a couple of days ago telling me there was a job in his unit if I wanted to apply for it. If I wasn’t about to start a new job I would have jumped at the chance, but the timing just isn’t right. It was nice of him to mention it though.

I should be glad that I do at least have possibilities with work etc. The friend who came to stay at the weekend got totally shafted by her boss a few months back which meant that she had no job and was unable to sign on and then another friend texted me at the end of last week and said that she had gone into work and her boss had told her to leave, as she didn’t have a job any more. It seems they needed a scapegoat for something and as she was on probation it was her. Anyway, I am hopeful that my new job will be a breath of fresh air - a good and trustworthy boss and a nice team who hopefully actually work together. Here’s hoping.

No comments: