Thursday, February 16, 2006

I might actually have to do some work...

I am now the owner of a shiny new laptop. Well, possibly not entirely new but work has now given me some technology that is slightly more compact than the laptop I had previously and not entirely steam driven.

I had to go on a course this morning to work out how to use it. It is *much* more complicated than just switching it on and being able to play on the internet. Erm, I mean doing some very important work – and given that I have now lost all of my favourites in IE, I might actually have to do some work. *Grumble*

We were not a very good group of students. The trainer kept saying in a slightly exasperated tone “Is that *actually* what I asked you to do?” and we would all sheepishly reply in chorus “No, miss”. We had to learn about synchronising wiht our desktop computers, doing stuff offline and so on. Things that I already know how to do, but they have managed to set it up totally differently on the new laptops and I just know that I am going to keep losing my work somewhere, as there are so many different ways to dial in which means you have to press a totally different combination of keys to get it to work as you might expect.

There are also lots more logins and passwords to learn. One login and password to get it to even switch on properly, another login and password to log in and yet another password (this time a number - four digits of which you have to memorise and the remaining six digits regenerate every 60 seconds) and then you can finally get into it.

So the conclusion is that it is far better to use it only for the purpose of looking on the internet. If I don’t do any work on it then I can’t possibly lose the work then can I? Sounds perfectly logical to me.

No comments: