Monday, August 13, 2012

Greatness

Before the Olympics started, whilst I was fairly positive about it, I was not that enthusiastic about it – two weeks of sport was not my ideal. Two weeks on, my view is rather changed. I really loved the Olympics.

I went to three events in the Olympic Park – Team GB women’s team playing hockey, a handball semi-final and the final night of athletics in the Olympic Stadium –so Mo Farrah winning the 5000 metres, the women’s 4 x 400 metres (poor Team GB, a bad first leg and the others with too much left to do) and the men’s 4x100 metres with the likes of Usain Bolt, amongst other things. A great night. The atmosphere in the Olympic Park was brilliant. Everyone was so friendly and it was great to be part of it.

I also got to go to the Team GB VIP lounge and met a few athletes, but had to leave to go and see the handball so missed out on meeting the team GB rowing team - and as Katherine Grainger winning Gold was the best moment of the Games for me, that would have been great. It was a privilege to be there nonetheless. A great Olympics. Roll on the Olympic Victory Parade on 10 September.

4 comments:

Gripes said...

Will you be Paralympic-ing too?

I've always been quietly enthusiastic about athletics - and indeed most sports - in a very unsporty way, due to the influence of my mum. She used to love watching all the big sporting events from the comfort of her armchair - with a quarter of liquorice comfits and a packet of fags. I no longer smoke, but I do yell at the telly...

Random Reflections said...

I certainly will. We have a day pass and are now trying to get some more tickets.

I am pleased to see your mum inspired you, although the cigarette side of it perhaps not quite so much. Liquorice - yum!

London is returning to misery as I type...

Cornish Dreamer said...

The Olympics was certainly an uplifting diversion for a while. Even I ended up watching some (on my new gadgety phone...at work! A great distraction).

Random Reflections said...

Cornish Dreamer - I got to wtach far more it than expected. You know you are into the Olympics when you watch BMX, taekwondo and other such sports that you would otherwise never have even thought about.

I hope you new phone is continuing to keep you amused.