Thursday, July 08, 2010

In the balance

I got an e-mail from a friend a couple of days ago. We e-mail each other very regularly. In fact, until a few years ago, I would have called her my best friend. Things have changed though and we have drifted a bit. But we are still in regular contact, in fact we e-mail each other pretty much every day.

Anyway, this e-mail, in passing, said that her baby is being dedicated on Sunday (the Free Church equivalent of a christening - without the water etc). Only I haven’t been invited. We are actually going on holiday on Sunday, so couldn’t go anyway, but I was surprised not to even be invited. I mentioned it to a friend at work who said that if a good friend had done that to her, she would end the friendship and that I was far more forgiving than her, but it seems a bit extreme to throw away many years of friendship over something like this. But even if I couldn’t go to something, I would still expect to be asked. I haven’t said anything to her about it, but I was not very happy to find about the dedication (and therefore my lack of invite) like this.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

CS Lewis


I wonder at what point it is lost?

2 comments:

Tom Foolery said...

Hmmm, a good question. I guess you've two options, confront your friend with the question (of not being invited) or let it go (not her, but the issue of not being invited. Neither alas is a win, win situation.

But either way don't let it spoil your holiday. Life is too short, focus on the positive :) TFxx

Random Reflections said...

TF - it's a catalogue of things really - and many years of us drifting further apart.

I suspect I will just leave it and then decide what to do if something else happens.

I am soooooooooooo looking forward to going on holiday.