Monday, March 28, 2011

Consequences

So, the colleague that I had an argument with sent me a text on Friday morning. It was sort of reconciling “I’d be happy to talk about what happened”, but kind of finger-pointy “personally I found it slightly embarrassing and unprofessional” substitute “you” for “it” and I think we have a more accurate view of what she was thinking. I decided not to respond. Text is not a way to have such discussions. In fact, if she hadn’t texted, it would all have blown over by today. I decided I’d just speak to her about it briefly at work today and we’d move on.

Only things didn’t work out quite that way. Yesterday she totally unexpectedly lost the sight in one of her eyes and is undergoing an emergency operation today to try and restore her vision.

This might indicate my power and the consequences of crossing me. Or it might suggest that the old adage “never go to sleep on your anger” might have some sense to it. I sent her a card today to say that I hoped she gets better soon and, as we won’t see each other before I change jobs on Thursday, saying a few nice things about having worked with her.

But, to be on the safe side, I suggest you don’t cross me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh dear! I will bear that in mind, and must immediately repair to your book blog to leave lots of exceedingly complimentary remarks!

Seriously, 'never go to sleep on your anger' makes a lot of sense, but it never seems to spring to mind until it is too late...

Random Reflections said...

Sarah - I am pleased that you have learned a very important lesson.

Yes it is a good philosophy but totally agree that it isn't necessarily quite such an obvious choice at times...