Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Experience

On Saturday morning, I watched a very small portion of a programme that had Sophie Dahl on it. She was creating a very indulgent meal just for herself. She went and selected her favourites of all sorts of products, down to picking a cheese that she absolutely loved to finish off the meal.

Whilst I am sure what she made was delicious, I couldn’t really get my head around the concept of truly enjoying a meal, however delicious it was, that I consumed on my own. Part of the enjoyment of a really great meal, for me, is to be able to share it with someone else. To me, it would be like going on holiday and seeing the most amazing sights and having no-one to turn to and say “wow look at that” and share the experience and the exhilaration.

Perhaps that is a reflection on my character. Perhaps it shows that I, generally, would rather have someone to share things with, and that, whilst I am fine with my own company, ultimately I would rather have someone else about to truly enjoy an experience. So, maybe I slightly envy Sophie Dahl’s ability to truly savour something in that way – be that food or some other experience – but for me, however great the food or the sight, having someone to share the experience with is a whole part of the enjoyment. So maybe that is a useful thing that I learned from Ms Dahl.

4 comments:

DAB said...

Very reflective Ms Random. I find that the sight of a bowl of dirting washing up after a lovely meal MUST be done by the one that you shared the meal with ;-) I suppose on relection reading is something we tend to enjoy and do alone.

Random Reflections said...

TF - 'Tis my nature. I like your philosophy on the washing up. I just try and shove it all in a machine and hope that it comes out clean.

Reading alone is often a solitary activity, but I do occasionally like to read a book aloud. I try not to do that on the tube on the way to work though.

DAB said...

Thank God for that! Otherwise the men in white suits might pick you up and take you away ;-)

Random Reflections said...

TF - I think there is no guarantee that they won't take me away anyway...