Monday, October 25, 2010

Questioning

I bought a digital recorder the other day. I decided that I want to interview my mum and find out more about her life. I asked my sister what she thought of the idea before I asked mum if she would do it and she said she thought it was a bit weird, but then I asked mum and she was fine with it. I’m going to record it and then upload it on to my computer etc.

When I was at school I once had to interview my granddad and great aunt for a history project. It was a really interesting interview and I found out loads of things that I hadn’t known before. But then, as teenagers do, I decided that I wanted the tape for something else and recorder over it.

I watch programmes like “Who Do You think You Are?” and always find them fascinating and yet I would imagine most of those people would never have sat down with various family members unless they were taking part on the programme, so I decided to be bold and ask mum if I could interview her. She wants me to ask her questions rather than her just give a monologue so I need to think of things to ask, but the more I think about it, the more things I can think of that I want to know about. So, in the next few weeks, we’ll sit down and I’ll interview mum. Should be good.

2 comments:

poet said...

often times we were going to do this with my mom. sadly, it never materialized. the stories are just in my memory, to be forgotten as i age. i think it is a great idea, and one day you will be so grateful to have those tapes. take care..poet

Random Reflections said...

poet - thanks for your comment. I started the recording today. Mum and I talked for about an hour. I am glad I have got going with it because, as you say, it is one of those things that is easy to think of doing but then harder to actually get on and do it.

I hope you had a good weekend.