Thursday, May 28, 2009

Excel-lent

I was feeling decidedly rough yesterday. I just seemed to have a headache all day and despite taking some tablets and drinking a lot, I couldn’t shake it off. I was meant to be in a meeting at 10, but was feeling as though I just needed to spend some time at my desk to get a few things done and also because I needed to just “exist” for a bit rather than sitting in a meeting.

We do now seem to have finalised where I will be working with my team as of Monday – at last! We are back at the start and working from the office where we were due to be in the first place. It seems that the people we would have had to evict to get the other office we were offered wanted to keep that office so much that it meant that we got our first choice. Result. I also sent over a spreadsheet to some of the other managers I will be working with and the big boss to show them the task ahead. The big boss was so impressed by my ability to sort some data that he said he hoped the other managers would see if they could do something similar in future. I had no idea such simple things could impress so easily... I do often tell my colleagues that the way to attain promotion is all about the ability to colour in. I have had so many experiences over the last couple of years where picking the right colour in a document or table has been what has been taken as the way to assess the quality of a piece of work. The new big boss is not like that, but I will add “the ability to sort things in Excel” to the list.

4 comments:

The Gripes of Wrath said...

I'm rubbish with Excel - but am very good at picking the right colour to highlight stuff (and am very good at colouring in and not going over the edges): does that mean I will only ever reach the lower slopes of management?

Random Reflections said...

Gripes! I am going to be honest with you: it's not looking good. I am impressed by your colouring ability, but the ability to sort data is the way to really impressive. The alternative is to do such good colouring in that you move up the ladder anyway and then pay someone else to sort your data for you...

Kahless said...

Ah, you are good at colouring...
the you must be a marketeer! Thats all they do all day isnt it?

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - I think I would be a terrible marketeer! I don't think you're any closer to working out what I do for a living.

Wasn't there a TV show where you had to guess someone's occupation??