Thursday, June 04, 2009

Vote

At the moment it does rather feel as though the Government is imploding what with mass resignations and lots of in-fighting. I had high hopes when Gordon Brown became Prime Minister, but those were soon dashed and it seems as though he may face challenges to his leadership soon.

That said, it’s the European elections today and whilst they may not seem the most relevant elections to our every day lives and the state of politics at the moment maybe makes people even less inclined to vote, but if you have a vote then today is the day to use it. People are disillusioned with the mainstream parties, but unless lots of people go out and vote that means there is a much higher chance of far right parties getting into power.

So go and vote if you can – and try and cast your vote by voting for something rather than against.

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.

John Quincy Adams


To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.

Louis L'Amour

4 comments:

DAB said...

Been and done my deed!

Word thingy is HANKY. I wonder who will be crying? :0 TFx

Random Reflections said...

TF - Good work! I voted this evening - the turn out looked very low, which might be because people had heard how long the ballot paper was. About two foot long. I did remember to only vote once though.

Maybe HANKY was a public service announcement about swine flu? I think there may be a few tears tonight from various political parties though.

Kahless said...

I just said the same thing as you in a comment to you on my blog lol!!!

Yes, it is very important to vote today to ensure parties like the BNP (and I am not keen on UKIP either) do not get any seats.

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - Great minds think alike!

I also am not a fan of UKIP (or the BNP, but I think that is a given...). I think turnout will be very low, so the results coudl be interesting...