Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inaction

I was on the tube yesterday morning and there was a girl talking on the phone to her friend. She was very talkative but not particularly loud. However, the woman sitting opposite me and her husband obviously took exception to this girl and the woman kept making comments like “I hope we go in a tunnel soon” and other such polite things. The woman and her husband were each reading their own copies of the Daily Mail. I think that about sums them up really and I knew who I was more keen to be quiet.

I had a meeting yesterday morning and after an hour we finally reached the first point on the agenda (note that is “reached” not “were still talking about” or “finished”). We then commenced the first point, which was the minutes and were doing the standard thing of checking the actions had been completed. We got to the first action and spent 45 minutes on that. After the meeting had been going for two hours we abandoned it and decided that what we had discussed would have to do. I wasn’t chairing this meeting, which is probably a good thing, as I don’t think it would be the sort of example I would want to use in my interview.

I had an interesting bit of news yesterday that a chap who works in our unit and is sort of “spare” would be interested in my job (not that he knows I am applying for a new job, he just expressed an interest). So that means, if I got the job I have applied for, I could probably leave pretty quickly, as he could replace me, which would be good because it is never good to have to hang on. Anyway, now that means I just have to actually *get* the job. I’ve been practicing the written task and think I have got pretty good at that and am still working through all of my examples for the interview and making sure they are up to standard. I am going to be so gutted if I don’t get this job.

2 comments:

Kahless said...

I am really intrigued about what job you do! Good luck with the interview.
And yes, Daily Mail readers; that says it all!

Random Reflections said...

kahless - a bit of this, a bit of that, but ultimately I try and do as little as possible.