Monday, April 14, 2008

Know your enemy

Monday again. Always a disappointing end to the weekend... Anyway, it was a nice weekend and all the cooking etc went well when G’s friends came over. They are really nice people and also great fans of the finer things in life, so you always know that they will either feed you lovely things or if they come to you will bring lovely things with them. This was no exception, as they even brought home made cakes.

On Friday, someone I used to work with who knows I have applied for a new job said that she knows someone else who has an interview. I don’t know this other person very well, but I felt kind of disconcerted by that. But then I thought that as there would obviously be other candidates, perhaps I should just work on the philosophy of “know your enemy”. I know that the job would be a promotion for her, whereas I already have a proven track record at the grade over several years. I also have worked in the unit before and so have more of an idea of what they might be expecting. I don’t know I she knows I have an interview as well, but I could just poison her so that she doesn’t actually make it that far...

Over the weekend I was talking to my visitors about the mayoral elections. For some reason I am becoming fearful that Boris Johnson might actually get elected. I don’t actually know anyone who has so far admitted that they will vote for him, but presumably some people somewhere will, so he is still a danger. So I am taking the next couple of weeks before the election as an opportunity to beg people to vote so that whoever gets elected is not based on people’s failure to vote. Incidentally, a few weeks ago I mentioned about a bid to get an independent candidate to run. Well, it looks like that bid failed. I have no idea if the account of it is accurate, but it makes interesting reading. So despite the claim that “it could be you”, well, actually no it can’t...

No comments: