Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Boycott

I am concerned about the call for a boycott of Scottish products as a result of the release of the Lockerbie Bomber on compassionate grounds. My main worry is that if I complied with such a boycott, does G count as a Scottish product. This could be a problem for our relationship, but actually perhaps more of concern is whether I would get my dinner made for me each day.*

We had a team meeting yesterday morning and I said to my team that I am planning on leaving early on Friday. I said I was thinking about leaving at about 3.30pm. One of them looked at me and said rather dryly “You really do know how to live. Why don’t you go crazy and leave at lunch time...”. I feel that I don’t necessarily have the most racy life.




*I don’t actually have a view one way or the other about the release of Megrahi. I think we should show compassion in some circumstances, but it depends on the individual circumstances of the case and I don’t know all the details to be able to know if it was the right decision. I bet the SNP are wishing they weren’t involved in it though...

12 comments:

The Gripes of Wrath said...

If you see G as a 2product" at all I think your relationship may already be fatally flawed, regardless of any trade embargo. ;o)

Random Reflections said...

Gripes - but I have checked thoroughly and did actually find that G had a "made in Scotland" sticker. I dare not tell you where I found it...

Anonymous said...

Mine is under my left heel.

Random Reflections said...

LKSN - I knew it! I still haven't decided whether to boycott all things Scottish. Haggis I could live without, but I think G no longer cooking me my dinner would be a step too far...

Sarah said...

Other Half, maybe, but boycott haggis and single malt? A step too far, surely?!

Random Reflections said...

Sarah - I had a *very* bad experience with haggis last year and now cannot abide it. I might be willing to use the single malt to set fire to the haggis to make sure I can't eat it.

Kahless said...

I have never tried Haggis; and never intend to either.
Whisky, yuck.
Oat Cakes, double yuck.

What is there left?

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - I am with you on the first two, but do quite like an oatcake with a nice bit of cheese and relish.

I am trying to think of anything else Scottish... Irn Bru!

Kahless said...

Ah yes, Irn Bru, havent had it for years.

Then there is also "The Brooms"...

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - The Brooms??

Kahless said...

I meant The Broons!

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - Och Aye! I don't think we have a copy of the Broons, but we do have a books of Oor Wullie. I will have to burn it!