Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pace

Yesterday was a strange day at work. Two people were working from home anyway, once texted me and said she needed to work from home due a ‘domestic crisis’, another was in during the morning and then when I was out at lunch time sent me an email to say she was taking some flexi time for the rest of the afternoon and someone else phoned me mid-afternoon to tell me she had got home so late the night before that she was still in her nightclothes and so would take the day as leave. This meant that, apart from me, there was one person in all day. Perhaps some have started to find the task a bit of a slog now.

There is actually one person in the team who is working slower than the others, so I have done some of her work and then given her all the information to write up and she will then get credit for it all. I think she needs a bit of help so that she doesn’t feel as though she is totally lagging behind. I am sort of wondering if we are hitting a point with the work where people are going to need a bit of a push to keep them going. I know I am certainly rather tired, so I guess they are too.

In other matters, I am reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami at the moment and I really like it. It is a bit gruesome and bizarre in places, but it’s a good read. Another good author to have found.

3 comments:

Spudgy said...

It happens in any project....its hard to pull people out of it but worth if you can

Kahless said...

Good luck; I guess you need to put your motivational skills to the test now?

Random Reflections said...

Spudgy - they're a good bunch of people and they work really well as a team and I think that will help to keep them going. I also think we need to take a bit of time to celebrate what we have achieved so far. I need to think what we can do.

Kahless - I am not sure if I have motivational skills - time to develop some I think! This job is certainly a test of my management skills, but I kind of like that because it has been the area that I have felt least confident in for a while.