Friday, November 18, 2005

Presentation is everything

It’s been a weird day. I seemed to spend most of it writing a presentation for my Head of Unit. She had to talk to someone really important (in the world in which we work- in the grand scheme of things he isn’t really all that important). My new boss said to me at one point "it’s a good job you didn’t have any other work to do today." I think he is beginning to realise how much everything revolves around our Head of Unit and if she says something has to be done for her then everything else has to be put on hold as a result.

Two people in my section told me they have got new jobs. Both said they want to leave because of our Head of Unit. They have calculated that about 20 people have left in the last 4 months, which is about half the unit. People have just had enough. Not good.

Since I have moved house I have had to get a different tube line into work. I had forgotten how unreliable that particular tube service is. Fortunately I seem to always be able to get a seat but the delays have been phenomenal. I console myself by thinking about the refund you are entitled to each time you are delayed for 15 minutes or more. It’s great – I either get to work on time or get the money back. Seems fair enough to me and stops me getting stressed.

Longer journey to work though so I might have to consider getting out of bed earlier. I think I might take some convincing though, as I don’t want to be in work much anyway.

No comments: