Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Abandoned


The weather is appalling at the moment and there seems to be a trail of abandoned umbrellas across London. I saw lots of umbrellas that were left deserted on pavements, at bus stops and anywhere else you can think of. I guess the wind was stronger than people realised. I appear to have lost a glove. Not due to the weather, I think I must have just dropped it somewhere but that’s a bit irritating.

You have to keep things in proportion though. If I ever need a reminder of why that’s important and that you have to make sure that you don’t turn into someone who is slightly unhinged then I will look back to the woman I saw yesterday. The tube was packed on the way to work yesterday and we got to one particular station and there was just no room for all the people on the platform to board. Some woman walked along the platform a bit away from the door and started to bash on the window and shouted at the people on board (of which I was one) “Move up! Other people want to get to work. Move up!” If you have to resort to taking out your anger on commuters already on a packed train then you have to start thinking that something isn’t quite right in your life. Yes it’s annoying, but surely it is better to head to work a bit earlier and thus avoid the peak of the rush hour than die at 45 from a stress related heart attack. Anyway, no-one moved and a few people crammed on board and then we couldn’t leave straight away because the driver had to re-open the doors several times because they wouldn’t shut due to their being so many people on board. There’s a lesson in that…

I finished “The Book of Illusions” which was quite good. I wouldn’t rave about it but it was a reasonable read. A story within a story within a story I guess is the best way to describe it. I have now started reading “The End of the Affair”, so we’ll have to see I get on with it. I am actually a bit nervous about it, but what I have read so far has been very good. I might keep some tissues to hand though because I think I’ll need them. *gulp*

3 comments:

Soup said...

An umbrella is for life, not just for Christmas.

And as for that angry platform woman - were i not so often one of the poor stranded people (living at a stop so close to London where all the trains coming through are already packed to the brim), I would take great pleasure in deliberately NOT moving down. Does she think that being rude to people she wants to (literally) mobilise will help her case??

Lemonpillows said...

I've started reading again too! I've just been donated a HUGE box of books by someone who was having a clear-out.

And yeah - shouting at people is not gonna make them move! Though I did have a go at some people once for sitting in a disabled space when there was a woman in a wheelchair trying to get in there!

Random Reflections said...

blue soup - I don't think I have ever seen so many deserted umbrellas before, it was very odd.

No-one paid any attention to her - after all if we had made space she might have got in the same carriage as us. I bet she must be a nightmare to work with.

lemonpillows - I'm enjoying the books I have read so far and am looking forward to various others I have lined up.

I hope the books you're been given are good - shame you haven't moved yet, as you'll have to move them all with you!