Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Snail's Pace



The return to work wasn’t too bad. I still prefer a life of leisure but at least it was still light when I left work – is that normal at the beginning of March?

Anyway… at the weekend G said to me “I wanted to talk to you about something” “Oh, right” I said. “Yes” said G “I was thinking… have you thought about what you might think about us living together at some point” “Erm…” I said.

We talked about it for a while and I said that I wasn’t against the idea, but not at the moment, not least because I think we would kill each other in the amount of space we would both have where I live at the moment. I will buy a house at some point, but not now. I know it’s very unromantic but I said to G that my main reservation is a very practical one. If we lived together and split up, I wouldn’t want either of us to have to be without a home. At the moment, the only circumstances in which I would do it is if my property remained mine and ultimately G bought somewhere else and maybe rented that out. I don’t want to lose the roof over my head, one that I have taken so many years to be able to buy – and after many years of moving from place to place - because of splitting up with someone, and I wouldn’t want G to be without somewhere to fall back on because of us living together. Not very romantic I know, but that’s the way my mind works about such things.

Don’t get me wrong, there are obviously positive things about living together, but I guess I’m not in a hurry. I still feel as though it is early days in our relationship and also that we don’t need to be really intense about things. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

4 comments:

Spudgy said...

I agree with you taking it easy (*cough* except my other half kinda just moved in!) The only way to make sure the house/flat is yours is to have a rental agreement otherwise after 3 months of living with someone they are entitled to half!ok so there's a bit more to it than that but it does give pause for thought.

titration said...

Hmmm. I like reading about how other people think about this. Being I am so new to making these decisions and dating and all....

DAB said...

Random, of course, but just maybe you won't break up.Life is very short. TFX

Random Reflections said...

spudgy - perhaps I should get G to sign a rental agreement just for staying at weekends. You never can be too careful!

titration - well it's early days for you (very exciting though!). I hope it all works out for you.

TF - Life is short indeed, but I am just ever practical about such things. It's why I've lived such a boring life!