Friday, July 10, 2009

Alert


I phoned my credit card company to see if they could explain exactly what caused the ‘alert’ on my card. They were useless.

Me: So can you explain what the alert was?
Credit card man: It was triggered by unusual activity.
Me: What was the unusual activity?
CC Man: I can’t tell you that, it doesn’t say on your records.
Me: Ok, well what transaction caused it to happen?
CC Man: I can’t tell you because there were a few transactions around that time.
Me: Right, so what is ‘unusual activity’ because what is unusual to you might not be unusual for me? If I could understand what caused it then you might not block it like that again if I could discuss it with someone.
CC Man: I can’t tell you that. The security department deal with alerts.
Me: Can I speak to the security department?
CC Man: No.
Me: Why not?
CC Man: Well it is a computer generated alert, so speaking to them wouldn’t stop alerts in future.
Me: So, you can’t explain anything about the problem and I am not allowed to speak to anyone that can.


This is just a mere snippet of the conversation. I wasn’t being stroppy, I was just trying to prevent it happening again because trying to pay for a meal in a restaurant to find your card has been blocked is not very helpful.

Anyway, tomorrow I’m off to Canada for a couple of weeks. We’re spending some time in Montreal, Southern Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Marvellous.

9 comments:

Kahless said...

How do you know your card wont be blocked in Canada?

Ooops; sorry!

Hope you have a fabulous holiday. Come back quickly!!!

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - Might never return if I run out of money!

I hope you have a good couple of weeks. I'll catch up with you on my return.

Kahless said...

Have a good one mate. I'll miss your posts.

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - that's a very nice thing to say. You know how to get in touch if you want/ need to. There's no need to be shy.

(no subject) said...

have a great holiday!!! and sucks about your credit card, i'm sure all will be well with it soon!

maybe while you're gone i'll get back to writing in my blog. =)

jumpinginpuddles said...

ooooh we arent eh only one who gets this, have a good holiday

Kahless said...

Arent you back yet?????

Seems like spammers are invading your blog in your absence.

Kahless said...

I am tempted to follow the spammers links multiple times and their stats will show that your blog is a grande place to invade ;-)
I am being naughty!!!
Sorry!!!

You better hurry back quick!

Random Reflections said...

no subject - hello! I haven't had a chance to catch up on blogs yet, but I hope you have returned to blogging while I have been away. I hope all is well.

jip - thanks. It was a great holiday!

Kahless - yes, not too impressed by the spammers. How come they always seem to turn up when I am away.

Anyway, I am back and had a brilliant holiday. We had such a great time. I only landed a couple of hours ago and should go to bed really given that I didn't really sleep on the plane. It is 4am Canadian time...

I hope all is well and I look forward to catching up.