Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Positives

We got to eat lots of cake at work yesterday. A colleague died last year and so we had a major baking extravaganza at work to raise money for charity. Let me tell you that the cakes were so good. I have a very sweet tooth and I stood there looking at the table filled with home made cakes and it took me several minutes to decide where to even start. I then consumed some cakes and took several more minutes to come to the conclusion that I had to stop eating them. Sometimes work can be so great…

I was in a remarkably good mood yesterday (and this was the case even before the major intake of sugar). When the alarm went off I had one of those “oh not, how can the day have started already” moments. But by the time I was washed and dressed and was walking to the station, I found that I was in quite a cheerful mood. I have come to the conclusion over the last few months that my mood can be greatly influenced by how much I am enjoying whatever book I am currently reading. If I really like the book or find it engaging, however gruesome the book may be, then my mood tends to be very good, I think because the satisfaction I feel about the book seems to seep into my view of life. However, if I don’t like the book or find it boring etc then this tends to influence my mood as well. I used to have a rule that if I started a book that I had to finish it, but clearly life is too short for bad literature.

2 comments:

Kahless said...

I am just so impressed with the amount you read.

The amount of sleep I get affects my mood. I try and ensure I get loads these days.

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - I get the tube to work so that gives me quite a lot of time and then I try and read for about half an hour before I go to bed.

I so agree on the sleep thing. I have now set myself the aim of getting eight and half hours a night and I find that has generally improved my mood and ability to function.