Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stressed

I went and got some Tamiflu for G yesterday. I don’t think G has swine flu, but once you’ve got your prescription number I think you really need to go and get it or else you might lose your allocation later on (I don’t actually know that, but didn’t want to take the risk). I do think the diagnosis system of the internet is a bit weird. I can understand that they want to keep swine flu contained, but there must be so many people who are wrongly diagnosed.

Towards the end of October I am meant to be helping to run a course. This will basically consist of teaching people how to do various parts of the work of the office. I feel a bit stressed about this because I can do the job just fine, but in some ways I do some of it by instinct and other parts I am not entirely sure I can describe what you have to do. So I have a month to work out how to explain various techniques in a way that is coherent and useful to other people – and there is a lot of ground to cover and people to speak to because I need examples etc. I think this is quite a tall order to be able to do this and I am also not an expert. I often just bumble my way through, but generally come up with quite decent results. I don’t think that is the sort of thing I should be saying on the course though. There is much work to do for this and not enough time to do this during the working day so I spent some time last night going through the outline someone has given me of the sorts of things I need to cover and am now trying to work out how to fill the massive time slots that have been allotted to me. As is the case when I do public speaking, you should always be fully prepared and there is no substitute for that. I have so much I need to do before the course...

4 comments:

The Gripes of Wrath said...

Did you know Tamiflu contains star anise? #things I've learnt from watching the telly

Mmm, tasty tasty Tamiflu...

DAB said...

Fill the time with eating cakes, it go down a storm. Mark my words. Let them bumble along, I say ;-) TFx

Sarah said...

'Bumble' is such a cool word: I think you will have to use it. Perhaps you could fill the massive timeslots by using the word 'bumble' as frequently as possible...

Hope G feels better soon :(

Random Reflections said...

Gripes - that is a very strange ingredient for an antiviral. I wonder why they include that in the ingredients...

TF - Actually we normally have lots of cake on courses. I think there is always room for more though.

Sarah - I like that word (and it is one that I think can often be applied to me...). If all else fails, I might have to use your suggested course of action.

G is on the mend and went back to work today. I hope it isn't swine flu...