Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Free

One of my favourite books is A Town Like Alice. I did have a copy of it but leant it to a friend and have never got it back. I shall replace it at some point, but I would also really like is a copy of it as an audio book. Alas, it only seems to exist on cassette, which isn’t a very useful format and also is incredibly expensive. I continue to keep an eye out for an audio version and one day hopefully will stumble across a copy.

Anyway, when I was having a wander on the interweb last night, I found an interesting site which allows you to download written versions of books (on ‘loan’), so that you can read them and then delete them obviously. Lots of recent books, which are still in copyright – hence them only being on loan. If you like the project, you could actually donate financially or by scanning some books of your own that are on the list of wanted books. I was messing about with my scanner last night seeing how easy it might be to scan a book and it is actually fairly straight forward, so I might donate a couple of books. But I think it might take a while to scan even one, as I don’t want to break my scanner and I then have to sort it out once I have converted it to Word. It is a bit time consuming, but I reckon a few minutes every night for a couple of weeks and I could have completed a book.

I was talking to G on the phone about this last night, who thought I was very “sweet” for contemplating doing something like this, I think it probably is more likely to show that I have too much time on my hands...

No comments: