Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Uplifting

They weren’t meant to be doing anything on the boiler installation today, but yesterday the installers did far more work than they thought they would be able to and have realised that they can get on with more work today without having to wait for the wall repairs to dry out. They think they might be finished tomorrow now rather than on Friday as they had previously thought, which is good news.

I’m meeting up with my mum for lunch today. She has to go to the hospital this morning for her annual check-up because she had cancer a few years ago and then we’re going to go out somewhere for a bite to eat, which is quite handy because it’s kind of difficult to do much in the kitchen at the moment because that is where all the work is going on.

I was lying in bed last night and for some reason I was thinking about a variation on a theme of PostSecret. So a kind of post-PostSecret... I was thinking that you could get a phone book and pick out someone at random and then put a postcard anonymously in the post to them and you just write something uplifting or positive on it. No signature, no way to track it back to you, just a positive message. I think this was partly influenced by me getting my new phone book delivered the other day, although I have no idea how it turned into this particular idea. Just in case you are wondering, I am in the phone book twice, at my own address and at my parents’ address (as there phone bill is in my name), so I am expecting twice the warm feeling from anonymous senders. I might ponder this idea some more - and also check out if this might be an arrestable offence!

8 comments:

Soup said...

I really like this idea. I might pinch it and postit on my blog (linking back to you, of course!)

Keri said...

I love that idea. Getting encouraging notes every once in a while would make someone's day!

DAB said...

I love this idea of yours, so kind and so sweet.

Hope you had a good day with your mum) TFX

Kahless said...

What a wonderful idea. I might just do it too!

Random Reflections said...

blue soup - I'm glad you like the idea. Feel free to pass it on!

keri - hello. Yes I hope that it would be something that just brightens someone's day or gives them a boost when it's needed. And perhaps makes them curious!

TF - You should give it a go. These postive comments have made me want to give it a go. I shall put my thinking cap on...

kahless - do it and let me know if you do!

(no subject) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
(no subject) said...

this is a great idea. its funny you should post on it cuz just yesterday i found this site http://www.hoperevo.com/ that is a simpler version of your idea...plus it has ideas for messages!!! but i really like the idea of mailing them out to ppl, getting mail always makes me feel more loved!

Random Reflections said...

no subject - Thanks, including for the link to that website. I like that idea too, so maybe I need to give a few variations a go.