Monday, September 22, 2008

Bad choices

Another weekend over and a fairly busy one at that. One of G’s friends came for dinner on Saturday night and then stayed over. That was a pleasant evening even though we did do a pretty major clean in anticipation of R coming over. Not that my place is particularly dirty or that R is the cleaning police, it just seemed a good reason to make a bit of an effort. G cooked a very nice fish pie for dinner and we followed that with apple pie and custard. Lovely.

Then yesterday it was my parents’ fortieth wedding anniversary. They had arranged a part – or actually mum had as my father did absolutely nothing towards it either in advance or on the day. It was nice to see various people I have not seen in years and also various relatives and there was also lots of really nice food, some of which forms my packed lunch for today.

I potentially have a fairly busy week ahead but some of my plans are dependent on when I can drop my car off to get a quote for getting it repaired. At the moment dropping it off won’t be a problem as I can do that on the way to work but I wouldn’t be able to pick it up, which is not so great. G wants to go to a Scottish dancing lesson this week and for me to go along as well. I’m not 100% keen on this plan and it takes me back to memories of attending the Woodcraft Folk, which despite what it may sound like was neither a cult or involved any naked tree hugging, but was a mixed gender version of Brownies and Scouts - and not my cup of tea at all. I just have many memories of having to do lots of country dancing. So we’ll see if I can bring myself to join G or if my car will save me.

Returning to my parents for a moment, you may wonder what the secret is of staying together for forty years. As my sister discovered when she was trying to find out who had also got married in the same year she found that they were either dead or divorced. Encouraging… Anyway, I would suggest that it is not down to my father’s choice in cards. My father chose a card that some might think reflects his sense of humour, but let me tell you, it doesn’t. It reflects his inability to make any effort and that he will buy the first thing that he sees. It was not this exact card, but this was basically what my father gave mum as an anniversary card. He’s such a charmer.


2 comments:

Kahless said...

I get its not the type of card to send to celebrate a lifetime together, but it did make me chuckle!

Random Reflections said...

kahless - I'm not sure it made my mum chuckle though! She does have a good sense of humour but I'm not sure that was quite what she was expecting after 40 years...