Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Observations

I went out for dinner with my friend K last night. She is one of those people who is always good at giving me her take on things - and she is also normally very accurate in her observations. So as ever, she totally analysed my life and quizzed me about various things. We worked together a few years ago and have stayed in touch, we do walk for the same organisation still but she was off sick from work for about a year and only recently came back. We did see each other while she was on sick leave but it is a bit easier now she is back at work. She is in the process of trying to emigrate to the other side of the world though, which would not be quite so convenient. Although good for holidays.

I did also find out that she has read War and Peace three times. I think once would be enough of an achievement. I am actually doing ok with reading War and Peace and have read about 150 pages so far (over 10%!). I have been surprised at the amount of humour in the book and I am finding it a good read so far. I am reading another book on the tube at the moment though, which is The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, to give me a bit more of a mix in my reading.

We went to Wagamamas for dinner and that was nice enough, except that they forgot to cook K’s food and so I had practically finished mine before hers had even arrived. The food was nice enough but I wasn’t actually terribly impressed by the particular branch we went to and am not sure I would go there again. At least it was vaguely healthy though, which given the amount I am eating out at the moment, has to be a good thing.

2 comments:

the vicious chicken said...

I read The boy in the striped pyjamas a while ago, after having it recommended to me, and also feeling I ought to read it for work. I liked it but I didn't think it quite lived up to all the hype surrounding it; but maybe the things I'd read where people were raving about it set my expectations too high. It was good, though - I'll be interested to hear what you think when you finish it.
VCxx

Random Reflections said...

VC - I have now finished the book and will give a bit of thought about what I made of it. It was ok, but like you, I don't really know why it has been so hyped. Hmm...