Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rambling


The picture is of a Scottish loch (I can’t remember which right now). There were times when we drove though parts of Argyll and the lochs were just so beautiful. On Friday we went to Glencoe and a couple of the lochs were so perfectly still that there was a fantastic reflection on them. If you ever have the chance to go to Scotland, go to the Glencoe region, it is so beautiful there.

Being in Argyll we were not far from a lot of the places I went through when I walked the West Highland Way a couple of years ago – a 95 mile walk from Milngavie to Fort William. It was really nice to go back and see places that I saw previously weighted down with a back pack. It did also bring back the memory of having such a raw sole to one of my feet that one night when we were staying in a youth hostel I was in such pain that a stranger helped me in the middle of the night and the only way we could cover the size of the sore was for her to give me a panty liner to cushion my foot. If you do use this method as a plaster one day then make sure you put the absorbent side against your foot and secure it with some tape, don’t attempt to stick it with the pad’s adhesive. Just in case there was any doubt about that. Anyway, it worked a treat. I would recommend walking the West Highland Way, just make sure you have toughened your feet up a bit first.

G and I drank quite a lot of Irn Bru while we were in Scotland and G also mentioned that you can get Irn Bru bars. So we went in search of these, which have now actually been slightly rebranded and are Wham bars. I think the reason why they were rebranded is that many years ago Marti Pellow’s (he of Wet Wet Wet fame) girlfriend sued the manufacturers, as she believed that the Irn Bru bars had damaged her teeth. Well, it is made of girders. Apparently.

I leave you with the latest Irn Bru advert (some details about it are here).

6 comments:

the vicious chicken said...

Oooh, I *love* Irn-Bru ads... my fave was one from years back with a very well-to-do lady planning a party and trying to decide who would sit next to who, and all her friends had names that rhymed. Now that I've typed it out it doesn't really sound all that exciting, but I remember that it made me cry with laughter. Maybe you had to be there.

I used to have a guilty-pleasure-type love of Irn-Bru itself, but I'm a bit scared of it now - the last time I had some it gave me a massive caffeine/sugar/additive rush and I felt really ill... so please be careful and drink Irn-Bru responsibly :o)
VCxx

Random Reflections said...

hello VC - well there are lots of irn bru ads here:

http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/adverts/favourite-ads.html

I don't think it includes the one you mentioned though.

I note your health warning. I have been on a bit of a sugar high the last couple of days anyway and have a bottle of irn bru I might well crack open tonight. Perhaps I need to take precautions...

Kahless said...

Havent had an Irn Bru in years...

Random Reflections said...

kahless - you can buy some. I boguht some last night and it is cooling in my fridge waiting for me to pour a refreshing glass. Lovely...

(no subject) said...

so glad you had a great holiday! i'm so jealous tho...the picture of that loch just makes me yearn for the wilderness and i've always wanted to go to britain but i've never gotten to and i'm just so jealous!!! but its soooo gorgeous!!! but yea...glad you had fun =)

Random Reflections said...

no subject - yes it was a really good break and some of the views in Scotland are just breathtaking. You must come to Britain some time, there are so many beautiful places to visit.

Of course there are fantastic places in te US too - and I am planning on going to Canada next year to take in some great sights and that's probably a bit closer for you.