Friday, January 22, 2010

Feedback

I did some more volunteering last night. It was meant to be easy, but actually the person we were dealing with was very cocky and it was not quite the simple process it was meant to be. At the end of the evening the trainer gave me and the other person I was doing it with some feedback and it was all pretty positive. I’ve noticed though that perhaps one of the things I have got from doing the training is the ability to take feedback, whether good or bad, and accept it and look for how to learn from it and not to take it personally as such. One of the things I need to do in the volunteering is leave my ego out of it all and perhaps I am learning to do that a bit. I don’t think that is the case for the rest of my life, but somehow when I deal with the very scary trainer I have learned to take the rough with the smooth and perhaps to get a bit of backbone!

Hopefully tomorrow is the last day of training and then I can get my Saturday’s back. I realised I am basically working a six day week at the moment and could do with having a two day weekend again. Volunteering is hard work.

5 comments:

mc said...

I find that if the perosn giving you feedback can leave their own ego out of it and not be too cocky, it's easier to do so yourself. Id that makes sense.
I hope you get your Saturday back soon!

DAB said...

Hmmm, you don't come across as someone with a big ego.

I've just finished reading "Travels in Scriptorium" by Paul Auster. A VERY INTERESTING READ INDEED! :O

Have a good weekend. TFx

Kahless said...

Maybe that is why you have been feeling so tired throughout Jan?

BTW the work restructure is finally about to be announced - how many months ago did I start worrying about it? It seems I am going to be in a good position - I can confirm in a few weeks.

Oh and Mrs K and I also got World Cup tickets!

Random Reflections said...

y - I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess feedback that is genuinely about the person it is being given to rather than about the person who is giving it is perhaps easier to take and accept.

My training has finished - hooray!

TF - I do sometimes find that my ego motivates me too much or that somehow my sense of needing to prove myself or score points can get in the way of doing the right thing. I continue to work on it though.

I hope that means that you liked the book. That is possibly one of his stranger books. Something like the Book of Illusions or Moon Palace or The Music of Chance are a bit more mainstream. He is a marvellous author though!

I hope you have a good weekend too.

Kahless - yes I think it might be. I was also ill a couple of weeks ago and that affected my sleep. Since getting new glasses I do feel much better generally.

I am glad that the work restructure is looking positive for you. Let me know how it turns out.

Well done on the World Cup tickets. Yet more exciting trips for you ahead for you.

jumpinginpuddles said...

we did a lot of volunterring work last year some oif it rewarding some of it we were kind of worked because we were free. I hopew you find what you do rewarding