Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Ignorance

Wow, it is cold. And snowy. It’s cold and snowy. I am not sure if I will go to work or not. I really need to go in because we are moving desks today and I have a few things I need to do for that and it is also the first day of my new team. On the other hand, I have brought work home and having the time to sit down and get through it all would actually be very useful. We shall see.

My nephew is an inquisitive chap and he asked my sister two questions and she didn’t know how to answer them. The first was about why you can’t hear the food in your stomach when you jump up and down. He asked this because when he stayed with me he drank some Ribena and you could hear that in his stomach when he jumped. I feel the answer lies in some long explanation about digestion.

The second question was that he wanted to know how blood is made. I talked to G about this, who has lots of biochemistry knowledge, but we decided that words like haemoglobin were probably a bit advanced. So how to explain this to a child. I feel I need to find the answer to these questions. If I didn’t genuinely have some work to do, I could have devoted my day to coming up with the perfect answers. My poor nephew will have to continue wondering about these important life questions.

Oh and I will update my book blog, but I have had a dilemma over it because I accidentally mentioned it (in very vague terms to someone) and am now paranoid that if I update it they will find it and therefore this blog as well. I will find a solution to this (which I am hoping will not mean having to kill the person concerned. But no promises).

2 comments:

Kahless said...

When you eat food it lands in your stomach which is full of juice to aid digestion. But this juice turns your food to a porrige like substance so when you jump up and down the "porrige" sticks to your stomach so you cant hear it.

When you go to sleep the porrige unsticks itself and moves in a slick through your gut.

Random Reflections said...

Kahless - thank you! I might need you on speed dial for when I explain this to my nephew.

He has many, many questions at the moment. I will probably have to call on your wisdom again.