Friday, December 23, 2005

An attempt at finding christmas cheer

I am not a huge fan of Christmas. Enforced time with family. Trying to avoid said enforced time with family (which I have managed to do successfully for the last five years or so but this year have caved in and am seeing my family on Christmas Day). Searching for presents and never knowing what to buy – nor being able to think of things to ask for. Bad television. Sending Christmas cards and wondering if it’s ok to say that I have actually just had a very average year and haven’t changed the world or achieved some great ambition. Instead, I have just pottered on and had a reasonably boring year, with an occasional highlight. (In reality I just avoid writing anything much in cards and do the usual “it’s been so long since we last saw each other, must catch up in the New Year” but then never quite get round to it, despite good intentions).

But here are some things that I do like about Christmas:

Christmas Carols – because you can’t beat a good sing along. Well, possibly you can but it’s one of the few times you can sing in public without needing to either be very drunk or insulting an opposing sporting team. And I can actually sing reasonably well.

It’s a Wonderful Life – one of my favourite films. There’s nothing like watching a film about suicide and despair to get you in the Christmas spirit.

Chocolate log – because it’s a great excuse to eat both chocolate and cake at the same time.

Christmas dinner – turkey, sausages, stuffing and even Brussel Sprouts. I really like proper Sunday lunch and this is it par excellence.

Christmas lights – unless they are really tacky like the ones on Regent Street at the moment. Whatever possessed someone to think that sticking some cardboard cut outs from the film Ice Age 2 on some lights was actually festive?

Fairytale of New York – I really like that song and it is one of the few Christmas songs that I am always pleased to hear on the radio (assuming it is actually December when it is being played).

The Radio Times – the only time of the year that I bother to buy it, but somehow needs must. It is also the only thing I can ever think of to give my father for Christmas, as he does absolutely nothing except watch TV. Given that his birthday is on June, I renew the subscription on a six monthly basis. Sorted.

Time off work – speaks for itself really.

No comments: