Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Journeys on the underground

Really annoying journey to work today. When I got on the tube someone pushed passed me to get the last available seat. We then travelled a couple of stops and a bloke asked if I wanted a seat that had just been vacated. I thanked him and sat down and was thinking how nice it was to sit down - but when I looked up there was a pregnant woman standing in front of me, so I offered her my seat. She didn’t even say thank you.

So I was standing up again and when we got to the next stop two people stood up and got off the train. A woman to my right was looking as though she wanted to seat immediately to my left but I pointed out there was a vacant seat right behind her and she sat down. At which point a woman pushed passed me and sat in the other seat that was vacant that I was about to sit down in. I did say “thanks very much” in a slightly sarcastic tone to her and she seemed kind of surprised that I was bothered. She did kind of offer me the seat but I said it was ok – and then the woman who had just taken a seat offered me hers, but I said it was ok too.

So the lessons from today are to barge my way passed other people on the tube to get a seat and bury my head in a book so that I don’t notice pregnant women. It’s such fun travelling on the tube.

No comments: