Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas letters

I got a Christmas card today from someone I have known for years and enclosed was a Christmas letter. This letter entirely consisted of writing about her young child. There was apparently no other news in her and her husband’s life. When you have children do people cease to have anything else to talk or write about?

I also got a Christmas letter from one of my housemates from university. She and her husband have gone abroad for 18 months and this is their first Christmas away. Their letter contained the vomit inducing line “what we appreciate most about being here is that we get to spend more time together”. Some may think this is a really nice thing to say (which it is), but this is the same couple who just cannot bear to separated from each other for even a moment. They could be in a room with 100 empty chairs in it and S would have to sit on her husband’s lap. The worst thing they have ever done- and I think most normal people would agree that this crossed a line – was when we were about to go up an escalator and S said “P and I have to carry on our usual tradition whenever we go on an escalator or ‘kissalator’ as we like to call it” and they then proceeded to kiss each other for the entire time it took to get from the bottom of the escalator to the top. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself and certainly didn’t watch, so focussed on hoping the escalator was a particularly fast moving one. So I was just thrilled to learn that they get to spend even more time together.

I am sure I am just bitter because I am single and have nothing of any particular interest to write in a Christmas letter. But even so, am I the only one to find such things somewhat nauseating?

2 comments:

The Gripes of Wrath said...

-I am wiping vomit from my screen as I type.
A "kissalator"? Ye gods and little fishes...

Random Reflections said...

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks like that. They're lucky I didn't push them down the "kissalator".

It is perhaps a good thing that they are currently abroad, as it saves the potential of ending up on a murder charge.