Thursday, December 29, 2005

Going straight to hell

I met up with my friend last night and we had a catch up. We didn't really make any progress on the housing stuff but just basically concluded that we would keep looking in the New Year. Anyway, she runs a bookshop and they were selling nativity scenes in the run up to Christmas. Apparently someone dropped a heavy object on one of the nativity scenes and broke Jesus’ arm. That’s right - broke Jesus’ arm. I think that in itself is probably enough to send someone to hell because breaking the arm of the Son of God, particularly given who his dad therefore is, just can’t be a good move. You are never going to win in the "my dad is bigger than your dad" type arguments either.

But not only is that person probably hell-bound, but so am I, as I found this story hysterical and kept laughing at the fact that someone had broken baby Jesus’ arm – social services would have been called in if it happened now (not that I would condone genuine child abuse or find that even vaguely amusing). I said that they could use it to scare shoplifters "don’t even think about nicking that book, look what happened to Jesus". Maybe somebody will take him in out of sympathy, apparently the RSPCA find it easier to re-house three legged dogs than those with the standard four, so maybe this will prove to be the case with Jesus, particularly if they put his arm in a sling. That would get extra sympathy points.

Anyway, today I went to my uncle’s house and various other relatives were there. I have very young cousins, a couple of whom are nine and six. They decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to get me to sing along to some karaoke type game. I can actually sing, but only when I know the words. I am obviously very out of touch with youth culture because I didn’t recognise half the songs. Or maybe that just reflects that fact that I have GOOD taste in music. It was a laugh anyway and I did manage to do reasonably well by just keeping pace with the words on the screen regardless of knowing the tune. Maybe I am already reaching the stage when I start thinking "music in my day used to actually have a tune and I can’t believe some of the lyrics in these songs. Disgraceful!" Perhaps a New Year’s resolution needs to be getting in touch with the part of my life that appreciates badly written trashy pop music. It’s always good to set major and life changing goals.

No comments: