Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Conversations

What has happened to the weather this week? This does not bode well for a holiday in Cornwall next week. On Saturday it is going to take over six hours to drive there and so I am hoping that the weather will have cleared up a bit. I was talking to a friend about the forthcoming trip and said that we have a talking book to listen to on the way there. I do think that sometimes G and I seem like we must be about 85 years old. We might even have a flask with us. I’m also taking some Tupperware in case we want to take sandwiches with us on any of our days out. I know... I know...

I was sitting at my desk yesterday and my slightly stalkerish colleague came over and deposited a biscuit on my desk (carried in his clammy hand...). I thanked him and ate it. Later on he came over again, this time with a plate of biscuits. Before he even offered me one, I said no thanks. He said “oh yes, you’re on a diet”. I looked at him questioningly and said “I’m not on a diet”. He kind of looked me up and down and went to say something and I just said rather sternly “Do not go there - or I will punch you*”. He promptly wandered off with his plate of biscuits. Remarkably effective.




*Just to clarify, I wouldn’t actually have punched him**. I have ‘people’ to do that sort of thing. Obviously.

** Possibly still have a few anger issues going on there though...

5 comments:

Soup said...

Now that both of my holiday options have fallen throguh I will be spending a week off in England, splitting time between London and Dorset, so like you I am worried about all this rain!

f said...

I've been lurking for ages, but as that post made me laugh out loud I should really say 'hi'!
I really enjoy your writing :-)

Kahless said...

lol!

The worst though (and thank goodness it hasn't happened to me) is if someone thinks your'e pregnant and you are not!

(no subject) said...

ahaha. i'm glad to hear that the "i'll punch you" threat will continue to work as i actually get into the real world =)

and i do envy your weather, i'd kinda rather have rain over 100 degree heat waves. i hope your holiday works out.

Random Reflections said...

blue soup - Today's monsoon like conditions have not made me any more hopeful. Plus the flood warnings on for various parts of the South of England. Surely it can't last - even though we had no summer last year... Perhaps it's time to leave the country...

femmeismygender - welcome and thank you for delurking! I'm glad I amused you and that you enjoy my writing. I had a look at your blog (despite the scary wanring from Blogger...) and it looks like an interesting read!

kahless - fortunately that has never happened to me either. Although the other day I did see a woman ask a man if she could have his seat and he basically asked why he should at which she pointed at her rather large bump. He then rather sheepishly gave up his seat for the rather pregnant lady.

no subject - well it does still seem to be remarkably effective, but I think you have to choose your moments to use it. A big board meeting etc is probably ill-advised. I'm going to have to trust you to use it wisely.

I think we would like some of your heat in exhange for some of or rain. It has been torrential here and this is meant to be the summer! I probably would choose rain over extreme heat though I think.