Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Power of Advertising

In internet terms this is probably old news, but last week I was reading about a Heinz advert that has been withdrawn in the UK. I think some people have said it has been banned but as far as I know Heinz decided to withdraw it due to some complaints, which isn’t actually the same thing. I’m not defending their actions, just trying to be factually correct. Anyway, here’s the advert:



So the advert was withdrawn for showing a gay kiss. Right… well despite withdrawing an advert because people are bigots, I still think I am missing the point here. Is that a gay kiss? I know two men kiss each other but isn’t that because the point of the advert is that the Heinz product is so fantastic that the boy’s mum ‘turns into’ a New York deli guy? That’s the humour in it and people saying it’s a gay kiss are surely just a bit dense (as well as bigoted obviously). Perhaps Heinz was a bit too clever for its own good.

However, there is an advert I loathe and makes me want to avoid their product altogether – and that is Tiscali.



I just hate the entire concept behind that advert and cannot understand why anyone would think that was a good way to sell a product. Despite what it says in the advert, don’t give them a call. Well obviously you can if you want to, what with it being a free country and all that, but I’d really rather you didn’t.

4 comments:

Kahless said...

the Tiscali ad is dreadful.

And maybe Heinze were being too clever. I just cant understand why people would be bothered to complain.
Oh well.

the vicious chicken said...

Oh, I'm so sad that Heinz are pulling their advert - I really liked it - I thought it was very clever. Personally, I would say that the people who have complained are too stupid for not 'getting' it, rather than Heinz being too clever... but maybe that's just because I'm irritated about the whole thing! Grr.

And regardless of whether the complainers were being dense or bigoted, I agree with kahless - why bother complaining? It just seems so petty.

Sigh.

VCxx (who apologises for her mammoth comment... must be one of my more rambling days...)

Spudgy said...

I'm going to be cynical and say that Heinz knew exactly what they were doing. It had a short run as a tv planned anyways......nothing like a bit of free publicity.....!! Bit like the gay magazine advert banned from the tube last year......

Random Reflections said...

kahless - the very first time I saw that Tiscali advert I hated it. Grrr...

Well, maybe people were worried that somehow it would start a nation of people becoming addicted to mayonnaise products. We are meant to be more health conscious these days after all.

VC - yes you're probably right that it is more of a reflection on the people who complained rather than Heinz. No worries on the length of your comment, it makes me feel popular.

spudgy - I hadn't actually thought of that, although it might mean oem peopel boycott their product I guess, whichI don't suppose they woudl think was ideal. Interesting point though...