Thursday, July 24, 2008

Everyone's a winner

I woke up this morning to find that I had left the back door wide open all night. Fortunately I live in a pretty safe area, but that probably wasn’t ideal. I have been quite tired all week, so perhaps it is a good thing that I have the day off today and maybe might regain the ability to remember to shut doors.

I met up with one of my housemates from uni yesterday and she seemed on good form. She doesn’t actually live very far from me and we normally see each other very regularly but due to various things haven’t seen each other for several weeks. I told her what had happened with A and she wasn’t very impressed but mainly thought that it was just such a waste to have willingly had a relationship with me and to then lie about it. She asked why I thought A had lied to C about it and I said I thought there were two main reasons first that A is a very private person and probably didn’t want to discuss it with C particularly but that was before they were particularly good friends. Since then they have got to know each other much better and it was too late to back track (and unnecessary because it was of no consequence, until it became an issue due to me going out with G), but also because A runs away from things and has a history of this. Maybe it’s easier to run than to deal with things properly, but then I suppose you face the consequences of that instead. Anyway, I feel less annoyed about it all today, so that’s a good thing, and mainly I think the issue is that in my usual slow pondery way I am just thinking things through and when I have done that all will be done and dusted.

The surveyor has just gone and he seemed like a nice chap. I pointed out all the faults with where we live to try and make sure that he comes in with as low a valuation as possible for us buying the freehold (‘us’ being me and two of my neighbours). It feels like we are finally making progress on it.

G and I had a discussion yesterday about how the new job is going. G is really enjoying it but has an issue in that they no longer have easy access to coffee. They do actually have a kettle, but I had not realised that G doesn’t actually like instant coffee. The main reason that G works is to make sure that I can retire early*. I was hoping that I could retire by the age of 33, but as my 33rd birthday is next week I am now beginning to accept that is unlikely, so I am willing to extend the deadline to 34. However buying coffee from a coffee shop is going to seriously dent my pension fund so today I have been tasked with going out to get G some of those individual coffee filters in order to find a compromise. It’s a win-win. G gets decent coffee and I get a step nearer to my early retirement.

*G may have a slightly different interpretation on this matter...

2 comments:

Kahless said...

With property prices going down is now the time to be buying??

Please negotiate well!

Random Reflections said...

kahless - have no fear, I'm not trying to buy somewhere new. My neighbours and I are considering buying the freehold for where we live to try and get rid of the current freeholder. I don't think a drop in property prices will make too much difference. At least I hope so...