Sunday, November 12, 2006

Busy

It was, as expected, a really busy day yesterday. I had to get up early to drop my car off for a service. When I got there it was all locked up and, despite me double-checking in advance what time they opened, they had given me the wrong time. I managed to persuade a mechanic who was there to take the car keys, as I had to dash off. A taxi came and picked me up and when we were on the way back home I saw a car had gone off the road and was in a sort of ditch at the side of the road. Given the story my friend told me a few days agoabout finding someone dead in a car, I thought I’d better phone the police and ask them to go and have a look (I phoned the police station not 999, I might add) and that all took a while. Then I spoke to BT to see if they would be able to sort out a phone line for me and after a bit of to and froing the answer was “no” due to the annoying phone lines where I live.

By now it was only 9am at which point I had my hair cut and then I made a couple of phone calls and went out to do various chores. These were rather cut short by the garage phoning to say my car was ready, so I hopped on the tube to go and pick it up. I phoned the Transport for London inquiry line on the way to find out what bus I needed to get from the station to the garage and they gave me two alternatives. I walked out of the station and there was the bus. Excellent! So off we set and having never caught that particular bus before I wasn’t entirely sure of the route, but I began to think that it wasn’t taking the route I would have expected at which point I concluded that this was not the right bus. The bus driver hadn’t changed the sign on the bus and was actually on a totally different route…

So then I got off the bus at a place that looked vaguely familiar and I tried to guess which was the direction I needed to head in. Fortunately I was correct and finally made it to the garage just as it was closing. Then I went and did some shopping and then over to my parents’ because my sister and nephew were there. I spent a bit of time with them and then they went home and I went with mum to the supermarket and then back to my parents’ house and had dinner there and fixed their broadband, as it had stopped working (I’m not an expert on computers, my approach tends to be “I wonder what would happen if I pull this cable out” and hope it doesn’t make anything explode). I finally got home about 10.30pm feeling very tired and chatted to my landlady for a while and then went to bed.

My landlady has actually managed to get the phone line reinstated for another month, so hopefully that should be enough time for me to have moved out. I think she felt really bad about having arranged to get it disconnected and so managed to persuade them to keep the service running for another month, which was very kind of her.

I am hoping for a rather quieter day today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if you get really bored I've got a few ceiling that need plastering!

Random Reflections said...

Somehow I think I might find something more interesting to do - such as watching paint dry.

Actually I think if you wanted your ceilings to look anywhere near decent, you would be wiser to look elsewhere for DIY help. I'm ok with a piant brush but that's about it.