Thursday, November 09, 2006

Progress

As a follow on from yesterday’s post, it actually turned out to be a pretty good day in terms of working out whether I do actually have some redeeming characteristics in terms of being a friend (I may be *slightly* exaggerating about how concerned I am about my ability to be a decent friend). Anyway, on the way into work my oldest friend texted me – we’ve been friends since we were three – and said that she really urgently needed to speak to me because she was really nervous about moving house.

We arranged to speak at lunch time and when she phoned she told me that she was suddenly panicking about a place she was about to sign a contract to rent. We just spent a bit of time talking through the worst possible scenario and I was trying to help her see that even with that there was a way to deal with it. By the end of the conversation she told me that she felt lots better and she then went and signed the contract last night. She sent me a text later to say thanks and to ask me to meet up for a cup of tea really soon. Woo hoo! I can give good advice and someone does actually still want to speak to me!

Anyway, on the way home my mind was sort of mulling things over and I got home and was about to go and have a shower when my mobile rang and it was a friend I haven’t spoken to in months. He’d called for a catch up and to tell me he had got engaged. We chatted for a while and caught up on each others’ news. Later I sent him a text to tell him that it had been really good to chat and he sent me back a really nice text telling me that talking to me had made him realise how much he’d missed me and that we really need to stay in much better contact.

I will actually continue to think things through because I still reckon I need to get my head together a bit, but it was really good to have two friends in the space of a day, unknowingly, say some things that reminded me that I do have good friends and there are people who appreciate me as I am.

Next I shall consider how to bring about world peace. On current form I should have an answer by tomorrow - but maybe give me a couple of days’ leeway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

World peace ! Make sure you bottle that one you will make a fortune

Random Reflections said...

I'm not sure you're meant to charge people for world peace. But if it enables me to live a life of luxury, where I can give up work and, of course, have a peaceful life then it might be worth it.

I'm still working on it...