Monday, November 06, 2006

Sparkling

It was a fairly busy weekend. Yesterday I went over to a friend’s house to watch some fireworks. There were meant to be about 10 of us but some people cancelled, so there were in the end. But that was fine. We ate some fresh cooked Argentinian pastie things (you’ll be relived to hear that I don’t work in marketing!) and then watched some fireworks and had some sparklers. Now, as a child I am sure I was warned about the various horrors connected with fireworks and sparklers and watched various public information films about the serious consequences of not being careful with them. So, I probably should have learned that it is important to hold on to a sparkler reasonably tightly, but I obviously wasn’t paying enough attention that day as last night a sparkler flew out of my hand and ended up between the feet of someone else, who leaped away from it. People do make a fuss about being set on fire. Suffice to say I was not allowed any more sparklers.

I spoke to my sister earlier in the day. Her in-laws had been over, which had been interesting. The other day my sister’s mother in law sent her an e-mail saying they were going to come over yesterday. My sister forwarded the e-mail to her husband and said “Groan. If we have to...” Except she hadn’t forwarded it... Instead she’d hit reply and sent the e-mail back to her mother in law. Oh dear... My brother in law tried to convince his step-mum that it was a joke and my sister had expected her to come back with a suitable reply. Judging by the look she got from her mother in law when they turned up yesterday my sister was not entirely convinced that the explanation had been believed.

This weekend I also noticed quite how much Christmas seems to be upon us. When I was in London on Saturday loads of shops already had their Christmas decorations up and there were a couple of buskers playing Christmas carols. There are also lots of adverts on TV that seem to be Christmas related. It’s the beginning of November! I’m not impressed and almost feel like boycotting any shop that is already geared up for Christmas but as that would probably mean that I would have to make all my Christmas presents from items I found on the street, that probably isn’t entirely practical.

No comments: