Saturday, November 04, 2006

The more things change

I finally went over to my parents’ house and set up their new computer for them and got it connected to the internet and so on. It took a while to do it, but mum was really pleased with the end result. I got a Chinese meal for dinner as a reward. It seemed to be an evening to reminisce as my dad took the opportunity to talk about the various holidays that we went on when I was a child and all the things that I did wrong on them. He seemed to think it was funny but I just stopped listening after a while and then went off and finished setting up mum’s computer.

I was looking through some of the things that were in my old bedroom at my parents’ house and found some school reports. My mum and I were reading them and it was really scary how accurate they were and whilst I have become more dedicated to my work now I’m paid for it, my school reports often said how when I was interested in something I was really good at it but when I wasn’t I just couldn’t be bothered. Hmm, don’t recognise that at all...

Anyway, today I plan to go to Trafalgar Square for the climate change rally. The slightly cynical part of me thinks that the only thing that will convince most people to make a change is if they have some financial incentive (not that I am entirely beyond question on this myself). I think most people will use energy more efficiently if it saves them money, but if the incentive is to save the planet for future generations then that is a bit less tangible and people aren’t so interested. I think part of the point of the rally is to show that an individual can make a difference, so I think I’ll wander along and see what difference that might be. Should be interesting.

No comments: