Friday, November 03, 2006

Side effects

I think I feel a bit despondent about the whole house thing. It’s not that I think that the purchase isn’t going to go through, but I think I just feel sort of frustrated that I am in a situation where someone seems to being avoiding carrying out their legal obligations because they are just really tight. Actually that isn’t what it is, what bothers me is that I feel as though I have had my life on hold for a long time. I have moved home so often that I have been putting off doing things and buying things because I know I will be uprooted again. Finally I have the chance to settle somewhere and I just feel a bit down that there are still obstacles to get through when this bit should be quite straightforward. Anyway, hopefully it won’t be long now until I will be in a place of my own...

I spoke to my boss yesterday morning to see if anyone had bothered to tell him that I have got a new job (until yesterday we hadn’t been in the office at the same time all week) and no-one had, so I told him. We are really good at communication where I work. I also mentioned it to various people in my team, one of whom said to me “stop smiling, you don’t have to look so happy about it!” and then asked me to keep him in mind if any jobs came up that he might be suited to. It would be good if he was part of the team, so I’ll definitely keep him in mind.

After work I went and picked up my anti-malarial tablets from the pharmacist. They cost £40! These tablets are basically meant to have no side-effects, but the heart attack you get from the price surely must count as one. Still the side effect of not taking them might be death, so I suppose it’s a small price to pay.

If you have a creative urge and have always really wanted to write a novel, well maybe here’s your chance. Apparently it is National Novel Writing Month (although I think the ‘national’ bit refers to America, but don’t be picky) and it seems that every November there is a competition to get people to write a 50000 word novel in one month. So if you have the urge to put pen to paper – or fingers to keyboard - then now is your chance but you’d better get going because we’re already three days into the month. If you write a best seller, do feel free to pass on some of the royalties.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang on in there, buying a house is like taking part in the
Grand National, only a few more fences to be jumped.

You are on the home straight
now.

There was once a famous racehorse called Crisp....mmmmh, me thinks maybe you don't want to hear that story .....

Random Reflections said...

Thanks. I'm sort of hoping that it is delayed for a short time now so that I don't complete until I get back from holiday. I'm never satisfied!

Was Crisp shot after falling at a hurdle? *takes cover and looks about for marksmen*

Anonymous said...

Random, Crisp did not fall at a hurdle ...... Now if you are sitting comfortably I will tell you the story.

Cast you mind back to 1973 (ok I know you weren't born but use you imagination for me on this one) On the day of the Grand National there were two horses that were joint favourites of which one was Crisp both at 9/1 and Crisp was allotted top weight of 12 st.

Crisp jumped the fences like a horse possessed and by the second circuit was some 20 yards in front. The race was in the bag. But on the home straight he 'hit the wall' ran out of steam and was piped at the post by the young Red Rum. Crisp was probably the best runner not to have won the race.

Have a good weekend. TF

Random Reflections said...

Well, I shall keep that comforting story in mind and hope that I manage to make it to the end of the race! Soon...

I hope you have a good weekend too.