Friday, November 17, 2006

Content

I’ve just finished reading ‘The Kite Runner’ by Khaled Hosseini. It took me a while to warm to it but by the end I was really engrossed and found it rather moving. On the tube on the way home last night I was disappointed when I reached my station because I had to break the flow and stop reading. I’ve read some awful books this year and some really good ones and this book is definitely one of the good ones.

I had a pleasant evening yesterday and, as recommended by TF, it did involve (part of) an Easter egg and a bath. Various people texted me while I was in the bath and this included my landlady. She said that she’d got her son to try and sort out the phone and he had arranged for the phone company to phone my landlady to get the phone reconnected. In her text she said “Difficult [for her to call them] by mobile as they keep me waiting ages.” I actually have very little sympathy for that as she managed to call them in the first place to get the phone disconnected and didn’t seem to have any problems doing that, but now she’s trying to fix this for me, suddenly she’s worried about running up her phone bill. All of this would have been fine if she’d just bothered to ask me what my plans were in the first place. It looks as though my internet access over the weekend will be somewhat limited though.

I also exchanged a few texts with my friend L. She is still going through a really bad time, has major depression and has nowhere to live. This weekend she is in Manchester because she can’t find anywhere affordable in London to stay. She relies on being able to find cheap hostels and so on, so that she has somewhere to stay each night and this has probably been going on for about a year. A cheap hostel in London is still expensive and she finds it really tough. I’ve said to her that she can stay for a bit or maybe stay some weekends, but she finds it really hard to accept help and I think is scared that she would somehow outstay her welcome and then lose another friend. But to me, she just needs a bit of a break and not to be constantly moving from place to place, so I hope that she might at least come and stay on occasion and then she’d have somewhere that she could just relax and it would save her a bit of money as well. Hopefully we’re going to meet up next week, but she’s already said to me that she is doing really badly at the moment so there is every chance she won’t feel up to it.

By contrast, despite the phone irritations, still not knowing when I’m going to move house and various things ticking over in my mind, I actually feel strangely content with life at the moment. There’s a bit of me that thinks that by saying it somehow it will go away, but it’s true nonetheless that right now I feel pretty good about life generally and kind of at peace about things - and I’m liking it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer that chocolate makes the brain happy (although it can make the arse fat!) so keep eating those easter eggs.

Have a good weekend TF

Random Reflections said...

Yes, chocolate can cure many ills. As for the size of my posterior - that's between me and my trousers (but I have had a few nice compliments in my time!).

Have a good weekend too.