Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Unlikely

I seemed to spend most of last night doing admin related tasks. I had forgotten to leave my gas and electricity meter readings out yesterday morning so one of the things I did was to phone the power company to tell them what they were. Only when I pulled out a bill to get their phone number and my account number, I discovered that my readings were lower than those on the last bill. The meter had actually been read by someone last time, so I was perplexed by this. I phoned the power company and spoke to them about it and they said it could just be the person who read the meter made a mistake. However, I then found the readings from when I first moved in and I think it means I have only used about 200 kilowatts of power since I moved here - ten months ago. This sounds unlikely to me. I try and be energy efficient, but the average household uses something like 3300 kilowatts per year, so I will have used less than 10% of that in a year. Very unlikely… So I’m going to keep an eye on my meter and see if I think it is faulty. They have refunded me £200, which is nice, but even so I am just not convinced that I can be *that* energy efficient.

Anyway… G is back from Scotland which is good. I did almost commit murder last night when G kept phoning me form the train and after about 30 seconds the call would cut out. Soooooooooooo irritating. I was really tired last night so this was not an ideal combination.

A report came out yesterday that said that basically said that if you deny yourself something then you are more likely to indulge in it. So, if you tell yourself that you can never eat chocolate again then you are likely to eat more of it than you did previously. Mind you, this only applies if you’re a woman. It seems that if women are able to talk about their carvings faired rather better than those who just tried to deny themselves something. Men it seems just ate lots of chocolate even if they talked about it. I’m sure there’s some great insight into the human psyche there, but perhaps it is just that men eat more than women…

I like monkeys, I really do, but I am not quite so keen on these ones that killed an Indian politician who fell from a balcony trying to defend himself from an attack. I was particularly bemused by this part:

“The city has long struggled to counter its plague of monkeys, which invade government complexes and temples, snatch food and scare passers-by […] One approach has been to train bands of larger, more ferocious langur monkeys to go after the smaller groups of Rhesus macaques.”

So basically they seem to train killer monkeys. Next time you phone a call centre and get through to one in India, think of them having to earn their money in order to stay of the streets where they may be clubbed to death by a passing monkey. My life seems very tame by comparison.

No comments: