Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bah Humbug


So the good news turned out not to be good news. C put in her appeal about her exam results, they wrote back and said “thanks very much, we have realised that we did get the scores wrong and have now lowered them accordingly”. So basically she appealed, and they marked her down. Excellent… Also my boss’s dad died yesterday morning, so that wasn’t good news either. My boss is such a nice chap and a really good boss and I feel quite sad for him.

Yesterday I got an e-mail inviting me to a work Christmas party. It’s October! I don’t want to be sent pictures of Santa and some reindeers in October! I sat at my desk and ranted about this and my head of unit just laughed at me. Charming. I can’t go anyway, as I intend to be on leave that week. I am, however, starting my boycott of companies that start their Christmas adverts too early. Two weekends ago I saw the first Christmas advert on TV. That was Argos. They are now in my bad books and I shall not be handing over any hard earned cash to them during the festive season. I do not want to hear Christmas music in October. I do not want to be told what I should be buying for Christmas in October. Just stop it!

I have actually been turning my mind to some things that are slightly Christmas related, mainly edible things that I can make in the run up to Christmas. I was thinking that I might make some fifteens and take them into work at some point. They’re not a Christmas specific treat, but my friend C usually makes them at Christmas time so they have that connection in my mind. I also thought of something to give G for Christmas, although I am going to try and come up with some other ideas too. Obviously I haven’t thought about this very much, as October is not an acceptable month to be thinking about such things.

Tonight there is Halloween to contend with first of course and so it strikes me that it is a good day to ignore anyone who comes to the door under cover of darkness. I don’t like Christmas starting too early and nor do I like Halloween. Bah humbug!

4 comments:

the vicious chicken said...

Of course, tomorrow it will be November ;o)

I agree though - Christmas too early is a Bad Thing. But it seems that some places are responding to this, now: I heard a shop assistant in Tesco tell a customer that no, they don't have their Christmas cards out yet, as their customers complain if the Christmas stuff appears before Halloween is over.

Christmas displays in Tesco as of tomorrow, then...
VCx

Anonymous said...

I sign those statements wholeheartedly!
I hated sending out invitations to Christmas Events 3 months before Christmas, but I had to when working in Sales or otherwise, all the people would have booked their stuff somewhere else (worked in a Hotel) or would have planned something for the day we had that d***** Party ;)

That's at least something I DON'T have to *worry* about in Kuwait :P

DAB said...

Humbug indeed!

Can you spare a penny for the Guy, misses? ........

Random Reflections said...

VC - tomorrow is indeed November. Already...

I saw some Christams stuff in Tesco a couple of weeks ago -Christmas cakes etc and it seemed to be selling quite well. I should have complained!

Nicole - Welcome. Kuwait - wow! I think I'd miss Christmas and all that goes with it, if it didn't turn up at the same time each year...

TF - You're alive! I hope you had a good break. I shall start a small fire for the guy instantly... Grr