Thursday, February 15, 2007

Beware




On the Tube on the way to work yesterday I was sitting opposite a chap who was in his fifties. He was reading his book and every so often would have a good rummage around in his nose and then sort of surreptitiously wipe his fingers across his beard. This was not a pleasant thing to observe and so I decided this was a good time to close my eyes and try and doze. I think the lesson to us all though is to be wary of men (or women) with beards.

Sadly my front door mat was somewhat lacking in cards when I got home last night, which I am sure is just because I have recently moved home. It will take a while for my address to filter through to everyone who needs to know it. I was somewhat disturbed by the London Paper’s coverage of Valentine ’s Day. On a lot of the pages they had boxes entitled “My Valentine Hell” and people had sent in stories of awful Valentine’s Days experiences. There was also an advert from the London Assembly reminding people to recycle their Valentine’s cards and compost their flowers. I think romance is indeed dead.

Mind you, I was slightly irritated by a woman talking to her boyfriend on the phone while I was waiting for a train. She was talking very, very loudly and repeating everything her boyfriend said. (You have to imagine this said in a girly laughing kind of way but sounding as though she was talking to someone with an IQ of a cabbage. “No, I don’t want to know what presents you have bought me!" *girly giggle* "I want to wait until I get home" *girly giggle* “You’ve got me four presents! You’ve already bought me so much already” *girly giggle* Even though I am not anti-Valentine’s Day I did actually want to push that woman under a train because she was just sooooooooo irritating.

There are strange things going on in blogging world at the moment. There are lots of blogs that seem to be shutting up shop at the moment (er, yes I do know about one in particular but there isn’t anything to say really). I realise people give up on blogs for all sorts of reasons, but I can think of three or four blogs that in the last week or so which have finished because people basically seem to have been intimidating them in some way. It’s very, very strange. What is going on out there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh... really?? People are being intimidated to shut down their blogs?? I'd not heard about that.. Not good!

My Valentines cards are all stuck in the post too. I'm sure they'll arrive soon :)

And yes, beware of women with beards. i'm one of them, so I should know ;)

Anonymous said...

Random, I trust you are not going to do a disappearing act on us??
....
Do I need to start a petition?Write to my MP? Organise a protest outside the Houses of Parliament?

Random Reflections said...

Lemompillows - it's very odd, if you look at my links Blue Soup and Litle Red Goat are just two examples. I know of others too.

The problem with beards is that you can end up storing things in them such as food and bogies, neither of which is probably advisable.

TF- No plans to go anywhere. Fortunately I have never had anyone be particularly nasty too me - although I have received some slightly odd e-mails from people! However, I think a series of adverts on TV and in newspapers would help to ensure I continue. I shall read my newspaper with interest tomorrow. No pressure...

carrie said...

i contribute to/helped start a blog about abandonded blogs.

would be interested in more info about the other blogs you know of that might be closing down.

thanks.

email me or leave me a comment