Thursday, February 08, 2007

Progress



I have made some vague progress on housing related issues. I did get some legal advice through the people who provide my home contents insurance. I phoned them on Monday night and the chap I spoke to was quite helpful but not very willing to say anything one way or the other. But then on Tuesday evening, I got a phone call from them checking if anyone had phoned me back after I had phoned them last Saturday and I talked to that chap about the situation and he was rather more practical and, given the disinterest of the freeholder, he suggested what would probably be the best course of action. So I am now going to re-read my lease (yet again!) and check if there is anything that I haven’t considered already and then write to the freeholder and say that I am going to ask for the installation to take place and they therefore have until then to object.

I think I have also found a company to fix my thermostat. They’re not the cheapest people but they seem to be really good at what they do and they gave a clear pricing structure etc as well*, so hopefully it isn’t entirely venturing into the unknown. I’m going to try and get them to come round on the same day as the burglar alarm installers (in fact the two companies are really near each other, so I suspect the people know each other). I also got a letter from my mortgage company last night saying that they are going to (very, very slightly) reduce my mortgage payments. Woo hoo! I have an appointment to see my financial adviser next week and I am hoping he will give me a gold star to go on my sticker chart for that.

As the motorway signs often tell us “Take a break, tiredness kills” – and so, it seems, do jealous astronauts, if they get the chance. Did you see the story about the female astronaut who traveled across America to track down another female astronaut who had been having a relationship with the same chap as she was? (why does that sound like the beginning to a joke?) Anyway, the particularly significant thing was that she did this wearing a nappy so that she didn’t have to slow down her journey. It could bring a whole new dimension to GCSE maths:

"If an insanely jealous astronaut sets off by car at 9am to travel 1000 miles across America at an average speed of 102mph and does not need to stop for toilet breaks, at what time will she be picked up by the police for attempted murder?"

*What has my life become that I get excited by a company having a clear pricing structure? *Shakes head in despair*

2 comments:

missfee said...

oh i am repulsed re nappy story. So, she attempts to murder someone with a heavily soiled nappy on? Vile.

Random Reflections said...

I know... it is the most bizarre and repulsive story - but it does set a new standard in dealing with break ups. If you're ever scorned in love all you have to think is "it is as mad as driving across the country in a nappy to commit murder? Nope. Well, it must be fine then"