Saturday, February 10, 2007

Results



This image came from miraclesalad.com


I have been feeling decidedly rough most of this week, but yesterday I finally started to feel a bit better. I still haven’t reached the point where I can say I have not got chickenpox (it usually takes about 10 days to fully show itself), but I’m hoping that I was just feeling under the weather this week because of a cold. I have been running a bit of a temperature though, so time will tell.

Yesterday at work was quite amusing. I was making my colleagues laugh by bemoaning my singleness (I have no recollection of how we got onto this topic) and explaining that my criterion is “breathing”. They then suggested a couple of entirely unsuitable people to end this dry spell to try and gauge my level of desperation. It turns out I am not *that* desperate. A girl’s got to have some standards.

Mind you the woman I sit next to phoned our IT people up and the chap she spoke to was really chatty and for some reason decided to ask her what she was doing at the weekend and if her plans included him and then started to quiz her about her plans for Valentine’s Day. She didn’t quite know how to respond. I don’t know quite where our IT department is but it is nowhere near where we work, so I guess this chap just decided she had a nice voice and thought he would try his luck. I have no idea what he would have done if she’d responded in kind.

Someone I work with (or technically, used to work with, as I have now changed jobs) was going on leave at the end of yesterday, as she is getting married next week. Her boss was meant to give a leaving speech, but was absent at the crucial moment and time ticked on and it began to look more and more like we weren’t going to give her a send off. Apart from me, there wasn’t really anyone else suitable about to give a quick speech, so I had to give a very impromptu speech and presented her with a card and a bottle of Archer’s in a carrier bag. We like to make people feel special.

When I got home last night, after a tube journey that was devoid of people shouting at me, there was a newspaper sticking out my letter box, which was a copy of the Daily Telegraph. It had my house number on it but it definitely was not mine so presumably someone didn’t get their paper yesterday. Anyway, amazingly, there was also a letter from the freeholder saying it was fine for me to have an alarm installed and just asking that if there was any damage to the exterior of the property to ‘make it good’, which is fair enough. So that was a bit of a result.

Today I shall probably wander about aimlessly, even though I have various things I need to do, such as shampoo my carpets. Once again I despair at my change in priorities since I have become a home owner.

No comments: