Monday, February 12, 2007

Exposure




The image is from Digitalfog

I phoned a school friend yesterday afternoon and we had a really good catch up. She is the one who has been in hospital because being pregnant has made her really, really sick. She didn’t sound too bad but I was somewhat horrified when she told me that her daughter (who is probably about 18 months old) shut her finger in a door a couple of weeks ago and had to be rushed to hospital. Her finger is still bandaged up and it is only when they remove the bandage in a couple of weeks time that they will know if she has lost the end of her finger. It makes me feel funny just thinking of it – although I suspect that is nothing compared to actually going through the experience.

I wandered into central London yesterday afternoon. I didn’t do very much while I was there, but I did take the opportunity to observe this from afar. Believe me there was no wearing of red on my part, I was just interested to see if it worked or not. I would say that maybe 40 or 50 people were there, although I’m not sure if some of those were people who just happened to be walking through the area and got caught up in it all by accident. The most noticeable people there were three choir girls dressed in red cassocks. I assume they were chatted up some men and then wandered off to church, as all good girls should be doing on a Sunday evening.

I actually cannot think of a less appealing way to try and meet someone (*thinks* well possibly meeting someone on death row or something like that), speed dating and that sort of thing is just so not me. The actual speed dating process would be bad enough in itself i.e. talking to complete and utter strangers with the aim of instantly impressing them – without even the aid of alcohol. Plus add to that the fact that you are then evaluated by each of the people you talk to and I think my ego is not really up to that.

However, there is another possibility. I am not one for going to the gym. I could actually go to the one at work which is very cheap, but just cannot be bothered. But maybe this would make it more appealing, although I reckon I’d want to go to the gym so that I was up to going to the gym, if you see what I mean. Anyway, it might be a way to meet new people but it would certainly leave nothing to the imagination - and I think sometimes there are some things that you should wait a while to find out about someone.

No comments: